Senior horses deserve to be celebrated! Whether they are still strutting their stuff in the show ring, enjoying a slower paced life as a happy hacker or filling our paddocks with cuteness, they deserve to be completely cared for in their golden years. There are many reasons why they are super heroes to us, here’s just a few that we’ve come up with:
- Senior horses make the best therapists. They are great listeners and have often been a shoulder to cry on during tough times throughout our lives. Spending time with your OAP (Old Aged Pony) will always leave you with a smile on your face.
- Senior horses have the patience of a saint! Whether it be trotting round the school for the umpteenth time or hacking the same route for the last 20 years, senior horses really are super heroes for carrying on with their ears pricked!
- School masters! They’ve been there, done that, won the rosette and whilst a youngster still has a lot to learn from their rider, a rider will always learn a lot from their senior horse.
- Horses are creatures of habit and no one knows their routine better than your senior. Many can make their own way in from the field, have picked their hoof up in preparation to have their feet picked out before you’ve even asked for it and hell hath no fury if you’re late with their Senior Super-Mash!
- Senior horses often offer a confidence giving and secure helping hand to younger horses. Giving a lead over a scary jump to being a field companion, it’s nice to think that your senior super hero passes on some of their knowledge to their younger counterparts.
- Senior horses versus four year olds?! Why is it that if our senior horse misbehaves we think it’s cute and funny and yet we reach for the neck strap when our four year old sticks their head between its knees?!
- Family treasures. Our senior super heroes are often part of the family for a long time and have taught two or sometimes even three generations of the family to ride…they really are priceless.
So there you have it, our top 7 reasons why senior horses are super but if you’ve got any further to add, we’d love to hear them in the comments section below…though we’ve got a feeling that the list is potentially endless!