With the world famous Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials just around the corner we’ve come up with a 4* brain buster quiz to test your Burghley knowledge! There are no prizes but have a go and see whether you are in fact a Burghley Boffin!
1. Burghley House has featured in many TV and film productions but which of these famous productions did it appear in?
2. Who is Burghley’s most successful competitor having won the event a record six times?
3. Which of these iconic cross country fences can be found at Burghley?
4. Which horse is the only horse to have won Burghley three consecutive times?
5. In 2003 which rider beat Burghley debutant Zara Phillips (now Tindall) to become the first ever rider to win the coveted Rolex Grand Slam of Eventing?
6. The winning horse receives a very special winning cake donated each year by which local hotel?
7. H.R.H Princess Anne won Burghley with her horse Doublet and in doing so became European Champion but what was the year?
8. In 2015 Michael Jung fell on the cross country from his first horse but went on to complete and take the title with his second ride of the day La Biosthetique Sam. What did he later find out he’d done as a result of his fall?
9. Each winner of the Burghley title is commemorated with a plaque at a specific part of the cross country course but what is it called?
10. William Fox-Pitt has taken the title at Burghley a record six times but what was his first winner called?
11. Which of these events traditionally takes place in ring 2 on the Friday at Burghley?
12. How many cross country course designers have there been since Burghley began?
13. In what year did Burghley first run?
14. Which of these famous water jumps can be found at Burghley?
15. Who is the only child of two former winners to compete at Burghley?