Sponsored rides are a popular activity for horse owners during the summer months and the number and locations are ever increasing. You could choose to ride up close and personal round Burghley to have your picture taken at the leaf pit, pretending to your friends that you have jumped some of those ginormous fences. Another option is Badminton where you and your horse can go for a paddle in the famous Badminton Lake or what about a stroll around Her Majesties’ back garden at the Windsor sponsored ride…the options are endless!
Whichever ride you choose, being prepared is key, below are a few of our top tips to help you on your way:
- Make sure your horse is fit enough and is used to being ridden with large groups. This will make it much easier for you to enjoy the event without worrying about how your horse may react. If you have a young, nervous or inexperienced horse arrange to go with a friend who has a more experienced ride to help offer your horse confidence.
- In most cases no special clothing is required (other than normal safety equipment) but often there is a prize for the best turned out horse and rider so taking the time to scrub up both you and your horse might just bring home a win!
- Changes to your horse’s feed should not be necessary prior to a sponsored ride, but remember to take enough forage with you for travelling to the event and for the trip back.
- For those horses that don’t drink well away from home, soakable mashes can be a really useful way to get both water and fibre into your horse after the ride. SPILLERS Speedy-Mash Fibre is flavoured with apple making it especially tasty and difficult to refuse!
- Consider taking water from home for your horse to drink at the event, as water can taste different in other locations which can be off putting.
Finally remember to look out for the SPILLERS weigh bridge which will be featured at many sponsored rides this summer. Why not take the opportunity to have your horse weighed, body condition scored and receive individual feeding advice all for FREE whilst having fun at your chosen ride.